Moving into your new home

Our promise to you is to do all that we reasonably can to make sure that your new home is safe, secure and in a condition, that meets both our lettings standard and legislation.  This means that when we give you the keys to your new home, it will be ready for you to live in immediately.

All gas, electricity and water supplies will have been checked and the relevant safety certificates provided to you at your sign-up meeting. Your heating system will also have been checked to make sure that it is safe and working.

Meeting the standard

When a property becomes empty, we carry out an inspection and complete all necessary works and checks to bring the property up to our ‘lettings standard’

What are my responsibilities as a tenant?

Your rights and responsibilities as a tenant, and our responsibilities to you as landlord are set in your tenancy agreement. These will include the following:

  • Paying your rent and any other charges on time
  • Ensuring that you, your family and visitors do not cause nuisance or annoyance to other people living in the local area
  • Keeping the inside of your home clean and in good condition
  • Keeping all shared areas clear of rubbish and obstructions

I have an emergency to report

Emergency repairs can be reported 24/7 our webpage or freephone 0208 080 6586

How do I report a repair?

Find out how to report a repair, or take a look at the repairs responsibilities page to work out if it’s our responsibility or yours.

Ready to report a repair?

How soon will you come and deal with my repair?

Find out more on our report a repair web page.

Who will deal with damage to goods or property following a repair?

Find out more on our affordable home insurance page.

As your landlord, Opendoor Homes is not responsible for insuring the contents of your home (for example your furniture, belongings and other personal items) against theft, fire, vandalism, burst pipes, damp or mould and other household risks.

This includes any part of the home which falls under resident’s responsibility, such as damage to paintwork or floor coverings.

Royal and Sun Alliance (RSA) offers an insurance policy for Opendoor Homes tenants although you may want to compare this with other insurance companies to get the best deal for you.

How do I report a new-build repair during the warranty period?

Find out what to do on our new-build repairs page.

Types of tenancy

  • Assured Shorthold Tenancy – 5-year fixed term
  • Assured Periodic Tenancy

Each of these tenancy types begin with a 12-month starter tenancy

A joint tenancy can be held by a husband and wife, or partners who have lived together for at least 12 months.

Both parties sign the tenancy agreement and share an equal interest in the tenancy.

Sole tenancy

This means that if a relationship breaks down and one partner leaves, their name can only be removed from the tenancy agreement if there is a formal ‘assignment’ (transfer) in which the leaving tenant agrees to remove themselves from the tenancy, or via  a ‘property adjustment order’ as part of separation proceedings. To do this, you would need to seek independent legal advice.

If a tenant wishes to remove themselves from your tenancy, please contact us via the webform.

Moving in to your new home

The first day that you move in, take meter readings for your gas, electricity and water and contact your supplier to tell them your meter reading.

You are responsible for insuring your possessions, including carpets, curtains and flooring.

Moving out of your home – ending your tenancy

If you wish to end your tenancy, you’ll need to give us four clear weeks’ notice in writing.

Notice will be taken as follows – either four weeks from the date you advise us of your notice to quit (monthly tenancies), or from the Monday following advice of notice to quit. Tenancy agreements may vary – always check your individual agreement for details.

We expect the property to be left in a good, clear and clean condition to enable us to quickly make the property ready for someone in need of a home to move into. You will be liable for recharge costs, if you do not leave the home in the standard we expect.

You must:

  • allow us access to inspect your home before your tenancy ends for any repairs and viewings
  • ensure all keys are returned to us including window keys, fobs, communal door keys, letterbox keys (if not we may charge you for this)
  • make sure your rent and other sundry accounts are paid up to the date when your tenancy ends
  • arrange removal of all your belongings and rubbish from the home, loft space (if applicable) and garden
  • remove all carpet, underlay and wooden laminate flooring (except if we agreed for the flooring to stay at the moving home assessment)
  • repair or pay for any damages you have in any way caused
  • leave behind your gas or electricity key cards (if you have one)
  • tell the Post Office, your Council Tax office and your gas, electricity, water and any benefit providers
  • confirm who the utility providers are to Hyde and provide the meter serial numbers (you can enter these on the ‘notice to quit’ form).  You’ll be able to find the serial numbers on the front of your meters, engraved into the meter box or printed on a sticker attached to the meter box. The meter serial number usually contains a combination of numbers and letters.

Use of your home

You can live in your home for the length of your tenancy. Providing you live peacefully, pay your rent on time and abide to the rules of your tenancy.

Giving us access

You are required to give us access so that we can check its condition and carry out repairs. We will normally give at least 24 hours’ notice but, in an emergency this may not always be possible. By law we are obligated to check your gas appliances every year. You must give our contractors access to carry this out or we will be forced to take legal action where you will be  charged for the legal costs and the costs of gaining entry to your home.